By Paul Kengor
whilst historians credits Ronald Reagan and Pope John Paul II with hastening the tip of the chilly battle, they've got didn't realize the intensity or importance of the bond that built among the 2 leaders.
Acclaimed student and bestselling writer Paul Kengor alterations that. during this interesting e-book, he finds a unique bond—which incorporated a non secular connection among the Catholic pope and the Protestant president—that drove the 2 males to confront what they knew to be the nice evil of the 20 th century: Soviet communism.
Reagan and John Paul II nearly didn’t have the ability to forge this courting: simply six weeks aside within the spring of 1981, they took bullets from would-be assassins. yet their strikingly related near-death reports introduced them shut together—to Moscow’s dismay.
A Pope and a President is the manufactured from years of analysis. according to Kengor’s tireless archival digging and his exact entry to Reagan insiders, the publication unearths:
- The inside of tale at the 1982 assembly the place the president and the pope confided their conviction that God had spared their lives for the aim of defeating communism
- Captivating new details at the try out on John Paul II’s existence, together with a previously unreported mystery CIA investigation—was Moscow at the back of the plot?
- The many similarities and the religious bond among the pope and the president—and how Reagan privately stated the “DP”: the Divine Plan to take down communism
- New information about how the Protestant Reagan turned intensely attracted to the “secrets of Fátima,” which date to the said apparitions of the Virgin Mary at Fátima, Portugal, beginning on May 13, 1917—sixty-four years to the day ahead of John Paul II was once shot
- A startling insider account of ways the USSR could have been set to invade the pope’s local Poland in March 1981—only to drag again whilst information broke that Reagan have been shot
Nancy Reagan known as John Paul II her husband’s “closest friend”; Reagan himself instructed Polish viewers that the pope used to be his “best friend.” in the event you learn this ebook, you are going to comprehend why. As kindred spirits, Ronald Reagan and John Paul II united in pursuit of a superb objective—and in doing in order that they replaced history.
Read or Download A Pope and a President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordinary Untold Story of the 20th Century PDF
Best ideologies books
Via constructing a long term supranational point of view, this bold, multi-faceted paintings offers a brand new realizing of ‘totalitarianism’, the troubling universal point linking Soviet communism, Italian fascism and German Nazism. The book’s unique research of antecedent principles at the topic sheds mild at the universal origins and practices of the regimes.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2008 im Fachbereich Politik - Politische Theorie und Ideengeschichte, word: 1,0, Carl von Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg, 7 Quellen im Literaturverzeichnis, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Die folgende Referatausarbeitung setzt sich mit dem scheinbar dualistischen Verhältnis zwischen Zivilisation und Gewalt auseinander.
Analyzes why Left events input nationwide executive, what they do once they get there and what influence this has on them. along comparative chapters, this e-book positive aspects exact case-studies of ecu Left events in government.
Synopsis:This is a booklet concerning the inconvenient fact. to ensure that citizens and political leaders to make clever judgments and have the ability to layout courses which are conscious of most likely destiny occasions, it really is crucial that individuals realise the importance of what lies forward. such a lot of our difficulties come up from unforeseen outcomes.
- Collapse of a Closed Society: The End of East Germany
- The Evolution of the American Dream
- Bolshevism (Routledge Revivals): An International Danger: Volume 4
- Cold War Counterfeit Spies: Tales of Espionage - Genuine or Bogus?
Extra resources for A Pope and a President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordinary Untold Story of the 20th Century
A Pope and a President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordinary Untold Story of the 20th Century by Paul Kengor